It’s no secret that eyelashes have truly transformed the modern beauty industry. From eye-catching luscious lash extensions to stunning natural lifts, our lashes sometimes do the talking for us. With eyelash treatments becoming so trendy and popular, it’s no wonder why so many have ventured into this career field.
In this article, let’s take a look at how much do eyelash technicians make, what’s the average lash tech salary, and how you can get started in the glamorous field of lashes!
Let’s jump straight to it, and start by asking…
How much do lash technicians make in New Zealand?
You can either choose to become an employed eyelash technician (working for a salon), or become self employed and start your own lash tech business. The choice you make will affect your average income.
Work for a salon as a lash technician and you’ll have the following benefits:
- Insurance – Your insurance will be covered by the salon you work for, meaning you won’t have to pay for this yourself or worry about making a claim
- Steady Income – You will most likely have a steady income and similar monthly pay, meaning you can easily budget (and save up for some further development courses…or that gorgeous pair of shoes!)
- Team Environment – You will be able to grow and learn from the team around you, as well as enjoying the social aspect of a salon environment.
As a lash tech employee, your average minimum salary will be between $47,000 – $60,000, which comes to $3900 – $5000 per month.
We say minimum because these figures are the minimum pay rates set out by industry boards. As with any field, the more experience you have under your belt, and the more you show your amazing skills to your employer, the more they are likely to pay you. In fact, most experienced employed lash technicians can earn around $60,000 a year – and the sky’s the limit!
What about if you decide to start your own lash business? What does a self employed eyelash technician salary in New Zealand look like?
Well if you do decide to take the self employed road, you could benefit from:
- Flexibility – The ability to set your own schedule and choose your working hours. Great for those who want to be in control of their own life or parents with young kids
- Secure Industry – With a robust and busy business, as one of the hottest trends of 2023 and beyond, lash tech work will always be available
- Low Cost Start Up – If you decide to set up from home, the costs to starting your business are fairly low. Who knows, maybe one day you could even start your own salon too!
The minimum recommended charge for a full set of lashes is $100-$200, but an experienced self-employed lash tech, with a great reputation in an affluent area, can charge anywhere up to $400-$500. So that’s your daily rate, even if you just had one customer on a slow day!
But, as an example, if you chose to work 6 hours a day 5 days a week, you could apply amazing lashes for 3 happy clients a day. That’s an average daily income of anywhere between $300-$1500 a day, which works out to somewhere between $1500-$2500 a week.
So it’s no surprise to know that there are lash artists around the world who make six-figures doing what they’re excellent at and passionate about.
How do I become a Lash Tech?
If you’re looking to master the art of eyelash treatments and want to earn a solid eyelash tech salary, then we highly suggest taking a look at our online lash course.
Our Eyelash Extension and Eyelash Lift & Tint short beauty courses are perfect for those who want to take their knowledge and skill to the next level. By joining our lash extension course, you’ll have the opportunity to transform your knowledge into practical skills.
These lash tech courses will help you develop and evolve your hands-on approach to lash extensions, lifts and tints. From comprehensive and easy-to-follow video tutorials to text-based learning materials, all the information you’ll need will be available at your fingertips. But that’s not all.
Highly trained industry professionals will be by your side, guiding you through our lash technician course, while sharing some of the best tips of the beauty world. Whether it’s knowing the difference between a Russian lash and a volume lash, or support on starting your own beauty business – we are here to help!
Along with all the necessary information delivered through our short beauty courses, you will also receive a custom-designed beauty kit. From lash lift solutions to false extension, mascara wands and two-toned eyelash tints, our custom-made and designed beauty kits are truly a dream come true for eager lash technicians.