Lashes have become one of the most popular beauty treatments of the moment, with everything from lash extensions to eyelash lifting and tinting, this high-demand trend isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
But how can a budding-beauty artist take advantage of this highly requested space in the market?
New Zealand Beauty School is here to answer all your lash-related business questions, such as how to start an eyelash business at home and how to promote your eyelash business.
Let’s get started!
Why should I become a lash technician?
Being a lash technician puts you at the forefront of a customer’s confidence. Whether working a big event such as a wedding or function, or just giving someone that boost of self-confidence to get them through the working week, you can be sure that your work is bringing a smile to someone’s face. You will literally be opening their eyes to a world in which self-care and love is paramount.
Not only this, lash tech is an excellent flexible business which can be taken on the go, run from home or tailored to any larger beauty setting – the possibilities are endless!
Training as an eyelash technician and becoming skilled at treatments such as lash extensions is an excellent way to create a flexible and creative career for yourself which can grow and expand as your skills and client base do. You get to do what you enjoy whilst making others happy – what’s not to love about that!
Is an eyelash business a good business to start?
There are both pros and cons to starting your own eyelash business. Here’s an idea of both:
- Booming Demand: With eyelash enhancements becoming ever more popular, this means you’ll most likely have a steady stream of work.
- Creativity: You’ll be able to showcase your creative flair through applying your own unique designs and styles.
- Flexibility: You can set your own schedule and work from home or a studio, enjoying a balanced work-life on your own terms.
- Low Entry Barrier: Starting costs are relatively low, requiring minimal equipment and supplies to get you initially set-up.
- Repeat Clients: Lash appointments are recurring, meaning you’ll be able to build relationships with returning customers and enjoy repeat income.
- Variety of Services: You can offer a variety of services, including lash extensions, lifts, and tinting to attract a wider audience.
- Personal Fulfilment: You’ll be involved in lifting your clients’ confidence levels, by helping them achieve a look that makes them feel fabulous and fierce.
- Skill Development: By staying up to date on lash trends, you’ll be constantly learning and improving.
- Potential for Growth: Once established, you can choose to grow your team or business at whatever pace you want.
- Initial Learning Curve: Acquiring proper training and certification in lashes might take some time.
- Competition: The growing popularity of eyelash services means you may experience a degree of competition in your local area
- Client Expectations: Meeting various client preferences can be challenging, especially if a client asks for something quite complicated.
At the end of the day, the eyelash business can be incredibly rewarding, especially for those passionate about beauty.
How much does it cost to start an eyelash business?
Depending on where you are in New Zealand, the expenses of starting your own eyelash business may vary.
You’ll need to factor in:
- Training expenses
- Licensing and permits
- Studio setup
- Miscellaneous expenses.
As we mentioned, however, costs can vary depending on location, studio size, and quality of materials. You’ll also need to account for ongoing expenses like rent, supplies, and marketing post-launch.
Can I start from my house?
You can definitely start an eyelash business from your house, creating your own at-home salon. It’s relatively accessible, offering convenience and cost savings.
However, you’ll need to check that your local zoning regulations permit it, and consider space, cleanliness, and client privacy. Adhering to professional standards and marketing effectively are key to success.
What do I need to start an eyelash extension business?
Here’s a quick rundown of what you’ll need to have prepared, to start your own eyelash extension business:
- Professional training and certification.
- Quality eyelash extension kits and supplies.
- A dedicated workspace or studio.
- Licensing and permits according to local regulations.
- Liability insurance.
- Marketing materials and branding.
- Appointment scheduling system.
- Client consent forms and aftercare instructions.
Is an eyelash business profitable?
And how much does it cost to start an eyelash business?
With an average wage of $20 – $25 per hour, whether you are employed by a beauty salon or are looking to set yourself as self-employed, you’ll most likely start at the lower end and gradually increase your prices as you gain in skills and reputation.
That being said, know your worth and be sure to charge for what you think your professional services deserve. It would also be worth looking into a general eyelash price list template, giving yourself a clear outline of the costs of your different services and lashes.
You may also be considering a mobile service, in which case you may want to add a travel fee to the charge of the service, which would likely depend on the length of the journey.
When it comes to the cost of a business start-up, it doesn’t have to be extortionate. The main cost will be your kit, and then it is possible to save on other elements such as space hire and branding.
Steps to start your own Eyelash Extension Business
Here’s how to start your own eyelash extension business:
- Upskill – Getting those skills top-notch is the first step. Once you have the strong practical and theoretical foundations of lash tech, the world is your oyster!
- Work on your brand – Get to know your unique style, your niche, what you bring to the market that no one else does.
- Practice, practice, practice – Honing your craft is the only way to truly master it – rope your friends and family in to be your practice models, they’ll love it!
- Promote yourself – Social media, word-of-mouth recommendation, or even creating partnerships and collaborating with other beauty artists and companies, good self-promotion is invaluable for any new business.
But how do I promote my eyelash business?
Word of mouth
Encourage your satisfied clients to tell their friends, family and colleagues about your superstar eyelash services. This will help to create a powerful and genuine network of referrals.
Use social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook to showcase your stunning eyelash transformations. Build your brand visibility by engaging with followers through posts and stories, and utilise relevant hashtags to expand your reach and attract potential clients.
Don’t forget to tag your location too, as this will help you visibility with local clients.
Creating partnerships with other types of beauty therapists
You can collaborate with other beauty professionals, like makeup artists or estheticians, to cross-promote services, tap into each other’s clientele, and create a broader appeal for your eyelash business.
How Do I Become a Lash Technician?
Think you might want to become a lash technician?
It just so happens that we have just the thing for you – a selection of eyelash-based short beauty courses right here at the New Zealand Beauty School!
Our range of professional lash courses offer flexible, comprehensive training to get your career off to a flying start. Take a look at our eyelash extension course or our Certificate in Eyelash Lift and Tint, which offer a wide range of the most in-demand and up-and-coming beauty skills to date.
Start Learning Today
Completing an online lash course gives you the freedom and flexibility to explore your craft from home, allowing you to learn at a pace and within a schedule that suits you and your lifestyle.
Where will your love for lashes lead you?